Camping tents: description, types and tips for their choice
Camping tents are intended for a long comfortable stay in nature. They are characterized by ease of use and are highly appreciated by lovers of unorganized recreation.
Camping Tent is a a large-scale mobile structure with high ceilings, capable of accommodating from 2 to 12 vacationers. This design allows a person to stand in them at full height, but at the same time imposes certain restrictions on their use.
For example, For a camping trip involving a long trek, camping tents are not suitable. This is due to the fact that when folded, they are quite large and heavy, and can only move to the installation site in transport. But when organizing a campground or tourist campsite camping models are simply irreplaceable.
For the most part they have an entrance vestibule and several separate rooms, which make it possible to comfortably accommodate a sufficient number of people.
Camping tents are often used in water tourism. However, the boat or kayak must be designed for a voluminous product and have the appropriate load capacity. In addition to the presence of a vestibule and several separate rooms, camping tents boast ceilings from 1.6 to 2 meters, an excellent ventilation system and reliable protection from wind and rain.
The products have a collapsible frame construction that allows you to quickly deploy the camp and also quickly assemble it, and understandable instructions that facilitate installation. The most modern expensive models have an automatically folding frame. This significantly reduces installation time and allows you to expand the tent in literally 3-5 minutes.
A distinctive feature of camping tents is a very spacious vestibule, where in case of bad weather you can put a common table and spend time with a large company. Most models have three compartments with a capacity of two to four people, which allows you to simultaneously accommodate up to 12 adults. Such models are very convenient for families with children, who usually have a separate room.
Even though there is no soundproofing in camping tents, the possibility of separate resettlement, as a rule, is very pleasing to children.
An important characteristic of camping models is the presence of ventilation. Typically, the external partitions and ceiling are made of breathable materials and zipped. This contributes to the normal air exchange inside the structure and prevents mosquitoes and other blood-sucking insects from entering the tent.
The door to the vestibule in most cases has a double design, where a dense waterproof fabric is used as the outer layer, and the bottom is represented by a mosquito net. For more expensive models, additional mosquitoes are installed on the doors of each of the rooms coming from the vestibule.
Moreover, a mosquito net is available on all ventilation windows, and a protective "skirt" is located around the perimeter of the tent. Thanks to such complex measures, insects do not have the slightest chance to get inside the building and disturb the sleep of tourists.
Considering the design features of the camping tent, one can not help but mention the number of exits. So, when using the structure in a hot and stuffy climate, it is better to choose a model with two entrance doors located at different ends of the tent. This will allow you to open both doors at the same time on particularly stuffy days and provide a slight breeze.
As for the floor, it is always available in each sleeping compartment, but the common vestibule is not always equipped with it. More often, a vestibule is considered precisely as a “dirty” zone, where you can sit at a table in the rain without taking off your street shoes, and take off your shoes before entering the bedroom. Regarding the weight of the products, we can say the following: camping models are one of the heaviest tents, so they can only be transported by car or other vehicle.
However, despite the large weight, when choosing a model, it is better to dwell on more spacious structures, which will comfortably accommodate a larger number of people.
Materials of manufacture
For the production of camping tents, high-quality and durable materials are used. Frame structures made of fiberglass, aluminum or steel. Steel structures are more reliable and stable, they perfectly retain their original shape and do not break from the wind.
Steel is commonly used for the production of tall and spacious tents with high windage. Flexible aluminum frames weigh much less and are easy to install. Fiberglass components for greater strength and rigidity are wrapped in a special braid, after which they are not inferior in strength to aluminum.
Tarpaulin and synthetic fabrics are used as material for external walls and internal partitions. Tarpaulin tents let air through better and, despite the "dense" material, are still in high demand. The reason for this is the ability of the canvas canvas to let out the air heated inside the structure, thereby preventing stuffiness. Canvas models compare favorably with this quality from polyester ones, which heat up quite a lot under sunlight.
The disadvantage of tarpaulin tents is the behavior of the material during rain. In general, a tarp holds water droplets quite well. This is due to the fact that when wet, the natural fibers swell and close together, forming a fairly dense structure.
Water falling on such a surface cannot seep inside and begins to slide down the surface. Those few drops, which nevertheless managed to get inside, are held by the force of surface tension and remain on the inside of the tarpaulin. This happens until someone touches or leans against wet walls or ceilings. In this case, the integrity of the water film is violated, and the water begins to run into the room.
In this regard, the use of canvas models is most appropriate in a dry hot climate with a minimum amount of prolonged rain.
Of the semi-synthetic fabrics that are also sometimes used to make camping tents, blended fabric has good performance characteristics, in addition to artificial fibers, cotton threads are present.
Products made of such material are well ventilated and weigh much less than canvas analogues. However, the main and most common material for the manufacture of camping tents is polyester, with polyurethane impregnation applied to its inner surface. This material has the highest water resistance and does not allow water to pass even during heavy rain.
The disadvantage of the fabric is the fact that it practically does not let air through, which is why polyester models are necessarily equipped with ventilation windows.
The floor in expensive camping models is also made of polyester or nylon with polyurethane impregnation, and in more budgetary versions reinforced polyethylene is used. This material is not ideal: it is noticeably heavier than nylon and rustles when walking, but it significantly reduces the cost of the tent and lasts a long time.
What are the differences from tourist and trekking?
The main difference between a camping tent and a tourist tent is its weight and dimensions. So, if with a tourist model, the mass of which does not exceed 2-4 kg, it is possible to make multi-kilometer crossings, then the situation with camping is different. The smallest model weighs 7 kg, and 2-3-room large samples weigh more than 20 kg, and wearing such a heavy load is quite difficult.
Another difference is that the tents for camping are quite high and allow them to enter without bending. Tourist models are designed exclusively for overnight stays and do not imply a person is in full growth. This is due to the fact that for better counteraction to the squally wind and other extreme weather events, they should have streamlined shapes and be quite low.
Another difference is capacity of structures. So, if a camping tent can accommodate up to 12 people, then a tourist tent is designed more often for three. In addition, camping models are designed for a long vacation, and therefore are equipped with a variety of organizers in the form of hinged or folding shelves and pockets. This allows you to conveniently place a book, a flashlight, washing accessories and other things necessary in nature.
If we compare camping tents with trekking tents, the latter weigh up to 5 kg, can accommodate a maximum of 4 people, do not have a vestibule (if there is one, it is very small) and can be easily transported in a backpack.
Camping tents are classified according to several criteria, the main of which are the form of models and the layout of the interior. According to this criterion, products can be divided into three categories.
- Tunnel model (half barrel) It is a spacious room with a large vestibule and a roomy room. The disadvantage of the design is not too high resistance to crosswind, which is why it must be fixed with stretch marks and pegs.
- Gable model Today it is not widespread and is considered quite outdated. However, some manufacturers remain true to classical forms and continue to produce their products, styling them, for example, under Indian huts. These tents are easy to install and quite suitable for a comfortable stay.
- Hemispherical models considered the most reliable designs. They are characterized by high wind resistance, do not require installation of stretch marks and can be mounted by one person. As for the usable area, it is slightly smaller than that of the "half-barrels", but this does not detract from the other advantages of the "hemispheres", such as ergonomics, streamline and convenient layout.
By the way, the internal layout is the next criterion for the classification of camping tents and can be of several types. The tent with one sleeping compartment and a vestibule is considered the simplest construction, and the three-room model is the most convenient and practical. The advantage of the latter is the complete autonomy of each sleeping compartment, a separate entrance and the absence of neighbors behind the wall. However, not all models have a modular design, and in many of them rooms are formed by removable partitions, which are installed at the request of vacationers.
Another criterion for the classification of tents is their seasonality. Models are divided into summer and universal, or "three-season", allowing you to use them not only in the summer, but also in the off-season.
Overview of the most popular models
The modern tourist equipment market presents a huge selection of camping tents, the most popular of which will be discussed below.
- One of the leaders is the Slider tents from Maverick. Thanks to the automatic frame, the installation time of this model will take no more than three minutes. The tent consists of a pair of double rooms and a spacious vestibule between them. Moreover, its area allows you to equip an extra bed there, thereby turning a 4-person tent into a 5-person one. The model is equipped with two ventilation windows, has two entrances and is made of polyester. The floor of the model is characterized by increased wear resistance and is made of calendered, laminated polyethylene on both sides. The cost of the model is 31,000 rubles.
- No less popular is the one-room model Alexika Nevada 4, also made of polyester and can accommodate four people. The bottom of the product is made of highly durable Oxford 150D material, which, in combination with a water-repellent tent coating, provides complete protection against rain and ultraviolet radiation. The tent has three exits and a huge vestibule, in which a table and four chairs are freely placed. The weight of the model is 12.5 kg, the cost is 26,000 rubles.
- The Galaxy World of Maverick is also designed for four people. The frame of the product unfolds mechanically and is made of aluminum. The tent has 5 windows and 2 entrances, and the build time is only 5 minutes. However, due to the sufficiently large dimensions of the product, comprising 535x380x195 cm, it is recommended to assemble it together. Such a model costs 29,280 rubles.
- Tramp BREST nine-person tent withThanet is an ideal option for a large company. The model consists of three rooms located on opposite sides of the vestibule. Each compartment has a ventilation window, and the entrance doors of all three rooms are equipped with mosquito nets. The product awning is treated with refractory impregnation, which provides reliable protection against accidental fire. The weight of the model is 14.4 kg, the cost is 17,000 rubles.
- Camping model Alexika Victoria 10 designed for 10 people and consists of two spacious rooms and a vestibule. The model is packed in two convenient bags and has a total weight of 28 kg. The awning is made of polyester and has glued tight seams. The price of the tent is 55,000 rubles.
When choosing a camping model, you need to pay attention to a number of important points.
First of all, you need to look at the frame. The usability, uptime and service life of the tent depend on it. The best option is a steel frame.
The next selection criterion is the weight of the model. So, a 5-person tent weighs an average of 10 to 15 kg, however, there are models of the same capacity, but with a higher weight. This is due to the materials of manufacture, the number of compartments and dimensions of the product. The most voluminous models often weigh 20 kilograms or more.
This indicator should be paid to lovers of wild places that cannot be reached by car, and you have to walk part of the way.
When choosing a model for camping, you should pay attention to the price. So, too cheap models for the most part go on a fiberglass frame, made of non-breathing fabric and do not differ in the tightness of the seams. Often there is no ventilation in such tents, because of which sleeping bags will dampen from condensation. Moreover, such models often begin to flow at the first rain and do not have a floor in the common vestibule.
If it is planned to actively use the tent in rainy climates, then models with a water resistance index of 600 to 1,500 mm should be chosen. Art. Such products are able to withstand up to 200 nights in the rain and even at the end of their service life do not leak.
See the top 10 camping tents in the next video.