Adhesive for repair of PVC boats: varieties, recommendations for selection and use
One of the main attributes that a modern angler cannot do without is a reliable swimming tool. Most often we are talking about a boat made of polyvinyl chloride. It is convenient, practical, has good technical characteristics, it is convenient to transport and with proper care it will last for many years.
But no matter how carefully a person applies to this craft, cases of occurrence of its breakdowns and various kinds of damage are not uncommon. Therefore, you should figure out which patch is best to make and which glue to choose for PVC boat repair, so that it is always at hand.
The use of high-quality glue will make it possible to repair the boat and extend its operation. It is usually recommended to use the one that comes with the repair kit. But it ends pretty quickly due to the small volume of the tube, so you have to buy a new one.
To repair damage to a PVC boat, it would be better to use compounds where the composition contains natural components such as resin and rubber. They will make the seam as elastic as possible and save the place of gluing from the harmful effects of water.
But no matter what glue is used, the most important thing is to comply with all the rules for its use.
To restore the integrity of the boat, there are two categories of adhesives:
- single component;
The first category is considered the most suitable for eliminating physical damage to polyvinyl chloride boats. This can be explained by the fact that such a composition was specially created for the repair of rubberized materials, which are the basis of boats. This adhesive has high elasticity and good strength. It is also distinguished by the immunity of temperature changes, which allows you to get a durable and high-quality seam.
Polyurethane glue can be called its analogue. In general, it has similar features. Its only differences from the one-component are transparency and the lack of yellowing over time, due to which the aesthetic appeal of the boat is preserved.
Bicomponent compositions are distinguished by a more complex composition. In addition to the polyurethane base, they also contain organic solvents, as well as wax. This combination of components allows you to give it high elasticity, strength and reliability.
Many anglers and boat owners highlight the composition of the Bostik Vinycol 1520, considering it one of the best on the market. And he belongs in this category.
In specialized stores you can find a large number of compounds for the repair of PVC boats. It will not be superfluous to characterize the most popular of them.
One of the most famous domestic variants is “Moment”. This brand has established itself well and is considered very reliable. The advantages of this composition are:
- resistance to water;
- the convenience of use.
The disadvantages are:
- high toxicity;
- susceptibility to decomposition on contact with various solvents;
- intolerance to ultraviolet radiation.
The following adhesive composition is called "Liquid patch". He appeared relatively recently, but has already managed to perfectly prove himself. This is a polyvinyl chloride suspension with the addition of strong solvents. He acts as follows - solvents corrode the base of the boat around the damage, and reagents restore tissue ductility. When the patio dries, the boat seems monolithic.
The advantages of this glue:
- ease of use;
- the ability to seal even internal seams;
- no need to use a brush or hair dryer;
- they can repair punctures and crevices without patches.
- high toxicity;
- in few places for sale;
- not suitable for repairing large damage;
- they cannot repair hardware.
The next composition to be mentioned is Uranus. This is a polyurethane adhesive designed to work with elastic materials. It is made on the basis of synthetic rubber and organic solvents. It is colorless and has a pink or yellowish tint. It dries quickly.
- has the highest resistance to water;
- made specifically for polyurethane;
- makes the glue line elastic, colorless and as invisible as possible;
- after drying, it is not dangerous to humans.
- very toxic, therefore, when applied it should have personal protective equipment;
- quite fire hazard.
Another adhesive that deserves attention is Kleyberg. It has a polyurethane composition with organic solvents and stabilizing additives. Its advantages:
- water resistance;
- high density;
- high-quality adhesion to the surface.
- at low temperatures, the bonding properties are reduced to zero;
- it should be stored at a temperature not exceeding +15 degrees.
You should pay attention to the glue called Sintacoll, which is a one-component composition. Its advantages:
- grabs very quickly;
- resistant to the sun.
- so that the seam obtained with this glue is resistant to temperature extremes and hydrolysis, it must be mixed with a hardener before use;
- if you do not follow the instructions for use precisely, the adhesive properties of Sintacoll will greatly decrease.
Another popular brand is Texacol. Its composition provides the maximum tenacity of polyvinyl chloride and polyurethane materials. Available in the form of one-component and two-component compositions, which significantly expands the possibilities of its application. Included with it is a special hardener.
- reliable adhesion to surfaces;
- it does not need to be heated with a hairdryer;
- withstands prolonged exposure to water;
- resistant to temperature changes.
The only drawback is that the patch is heat-resistant, before applying the adhesive should be diluted with a special hardener.
Bostik Vinycol 1520
It should be said about the Bostik Vinycol 1520 mentioned above. It is made from rubber and organic solvent and belongs to the category of two-component. Its advantages are:
- high adhesion;
- excellent strength of the adhesive joint;
- good resistance to severe temperature extremes;
- resistance to contact with solvents;
- preservation of their qualities in high humidity.
Its disadvantage can be called only high toxicity, which is why it is better not to use it without personal protective equipment.
Another glue that deserves the attention of consumers is called Reaktor. It is sold in tubes of 15 milliliters and can eliminate small punctures, cuts and scuffs.
- easy to use;
- less toxic than analogues.
- not suitable for repairing serious damage;
- has not very high water resistance.
Another glue that is very popular is Master. Sold in a compact tube that fits easily into a box with a repair kit. It is a one-component waterproof substance based on polyurethane, which is made of rubbers.
- grabs very quickly;
- small tube sizes;
- Suitable for repair patches.
- it can be used exclusively in a warm room at a temperature of at least +18 degrees;
- one tube is not enough to repair serious damage to the craft.
Quite often, the owners of PVC boats use glue "RK-2". It is great for working with most rubber categories, including polyvinyl chloride. Its main advantages include:
- immunity to water;
- excellent resistance to temperature changes;
- creates an elastic and very reliable seam.
Another interesting option is an adhesive called "UR-mono." It refers to one-component products. It can be used without the need to add any additional hardeners. Its advantages include:
- highest degree of water resistance;
- immunity to ultraviolet radiation;
- low toxicity when used.
Another popular glue is 900I. It is made of polyurethane. The degree of its use is extremely extensive: balls, soles made of rubber and so on. It can also be used for PVC boats. Its advantage will be excellent resistance to a variety of oils, acids, gasoline and water.
Penosil fix go
The last adhesive that I want to say about is called Penosil Fix Go. The manufacturer positions it as a cold weld created from epoxy materials.
- hardens very quickly;
- Great for gluing PVC surfaces.
How to choose?
In order to choose the highest quality glue for repair, it is necessary to be guided by such aspects.
- Drying time It should be minimal, because in natural conditions there is no way to wait long until the glue hardens.
- If it is made of cyanocrylate, then it can not be used. Despite the ability to glue anything, the effect of such a composition will last a very short time.
- If the composition is made of polyurethane or chlorpropylene, then this is also the wrong solution for the case in question. Their sensitivity to moisture is very high, because of which the seam will be very fragile and unreliable.
- Versatility - not the most correct requirement in this case. It would be better to use glue intended only for repairing PVC boats.
- Heat resistance - an extremely important characteristic. It is better to choose means that can withstand large temperature differences.
- The cost of good glue is high. But in this case, it is better not to try to save money and give preference to an expensive, but really effective composition.
- Glue quality also matters. Checking this option is easy. Simply put a little glue on something and leave it for 5 minutes, then check it for stickiness. If it is of poor quality, it will stick to the finger.
- Moisture resistance. The glue must withstand the effects of water, because the use of the product takes place in a pond.
- Durability. The made seam should not lose strength during prolonged use of the product.
- Elasticity. The glue line should be very resistant to stretching.
The algorithm of actions specified in the instructions for the adhesive should be clearly observed. A number of funds lose their properties if a person deviates from the norms during use, which are spelled out in them. To get a really high-quality seam, especially if patches are glued, the glued surfaces must be cleaned with coarse sandpaper. After that, they need to be cleaned with acetone or a solvent and dried well. So that the load on the adhesive composition is not so strong, you can tighten large gaps before gluing, using nylon threads.
For spot repairs, it is best to use a liquid patch. If it is required to repair boat accessories, then it is better to use adhesive compositions of a single-component group.
And when it comes to stationary repairs, it is better to use a two-component professional adhesive.
If repairs are carried out ashore, then it is better to give preference to road tubes. In addition, it will be important to observe the temperature regime and apply glue for repairing a PVC boat only at temperatures above +15 degrees. Avoid contact with direct sunlight. When applying the adhesive composition, bends and various kinds of bubbles should be avoided. If you need to glue places where there are folds, then it is better to entrust this to professionals.
If the glue got on your hands, then it can be removed with acetone or gasoline. It is enough to apply a small amount of them to the area where the adhesive composition got, and wipe it with a rag. After that it takes wash your hands thoroughly with soap and dry them with a towel.
See how to use glue for a PVC boat in the next video.